Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Casserole is one of the best comforting meals I’ve made so far. It makes a satisfying and healthy meatless meal or side dish. It is loaded with quinoa, black beans, corn, red bell peppers and asparagus with a slightly tangy flavor of tomatoes. Doesn’t it sound like a festive dinner? Did I tell you it’s cheesy too? I know it’s hard to resist!
We make Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa Casserole quite often in summer, so we need a substitute in winter. And this would be another quinoa casserole for sure, with a Mexican twist. I have tried a few Mexican recipes so far, and I guess this casserole is my most favorite one. I’m so sure that this will become one of the most requested dinners in your family too. A very colorful, comforting, healthy, easy and tasty meal in one pan is the summary of this meal. You can’t believe how easy it is to make this amazing Mexican recipe.
What I like about most Mexican dinner recipes is that they have great combination of flavors and colors at the same time. So we first eat with our eyes and then continue feeling the pleasure in our mouth.
I think this cheesy Mexican quinoa casserole is one of the best quinoa dishes as it can be served as a complete meal itself. The lime and the chili powder are like the hidden secret in this recipe. I chopped all the cilantro I had and added it into the skillet when it’s still cooking and I forgot to save some to garnish the casserole and give it a freshness. Don’t make the same mistake! If you love Mexican food, I’m sure you like cilantro too. This casserole becomes even more tempting and tasty with a little chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
Oh and did I tell you that we can make this cheesy Mexican quinoa casserole in one pan? Quinoa and the veggies are all cooked in the same pan. Unlike some people, I never soak quinoa beforehand. It is not necessary at all. Just wash it very well and it’s ready to cook.
See our other casserole recipe videos here:
Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Casserole
An easy, healthy yet satisfying and scrumptious quinoa casserole with Mexican flavors.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 and 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, red bell pepper and asparagus; cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in quinoa, tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in hot water, black beans, corn kernels, half of the cilantro leaves, chili powder, black pepper and salt. Bring it to boil, cover and let it simmer over the lowest heat until quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and shredded mozzarella, cover and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Top with the remained cilantro and serve immediately.