Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
A scrumptious cauliflower dish loaded with cheese becomes everyone’s favorite!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Category: casserole
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 lemon to avoid the bad smell when cooking cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or use 2 tsp if you like it peppery)
- 1 cup parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 390F (200C).
- Steam the cauliflower florets in a steam basket for 10 minutes. If you don’t have a steam basket, then fill a large pot with water, toss in the florets and lemon. (See the video).
- Bring it to boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer the florets into very cold water. Drain and put aside.
- Whisk egg, milk and olive oil. Add in flour, salt, cumin and black pepper. Whisk until smooth. Fold in 1 cup parmesan. Toss in the steamed cauliflower florets and coat them well with this sauce.(See the video).
- Transfer it into a casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven, throw the remaining parmesan over it and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese melts and gets golden.
You can easily turn this into a gluten-free recipe by using a gluten-free type of flour like rice flour or cornmeal.