This Cheese Tart with Egg was made for breakfast yesterday! I made Fluffy Pogaca the other day, which is a kind of Turkish bun stuffed with any filling you like. I stuffed it with cheese and parsley as always, but I had more than I needed in the end since I didn’t measure it. I kept the rest of the filling in the refrigerator and started to think what I could make with it. So this Cheese Tart with Egg came out as a result of excessive pogaca filling and of my imagination!
I used our regular white cheese, which is similar to feta. Combining cheese with herbs is like an obsession for me, so I added chopped green onions into my leftover cheese and parsley filling mixture to have an extra flavor.
Did I tell you that I have an egg at breakfast every single morning? Why not top my tart with an egg this time? It would be a great change for my morning eggs! If you want your tart eggless, just skip it. I didn’t add eggs two of these tarts and they were still scrumptious!
When I topped my tart with cheese and egg, I thought it needed a final touch to look more tempting and more suitable for Spring! What could be that missing ingredient? Maybe something red! So I completed my tart with roasted red bell peppers. It was so compatible with the rest of topping due to its smoky flavor!
I already had canned roasted red bell peppers, which I myself prepared last Summer, so I just used some from it. You can easily roast one or two red bell peppers on stove or in oven beforehand. You can prefer using it raw too, but I guess it will be a little dry. You know roasted red bell peppers have a vey soft texture and I think they are perfect for topping pastries like this.
This cheese tart with egg turned out perfect with the combination of these flavors. Cheese, herbs, red bell pepper and egg can never go wrong together! Tangy flavor of cheese, freshness of herbs, smoky flavor of roasted red bell pepper and shining eggs in the center made my tarts scrumptious!
As for the dough, I made a dough I always use to make Turkish Pide, just reducing the amounts of ingredients.
Our breakfast was a real feast yesterday with these mini tarts. I made four tarts; two with eggs and two without. We had the ones with eggs at breakfast and the other two for lunch on the same day. We felt a bit lazy to heat them, but they were still super yummy!
If you are looking for a savory tart to have at breakfast or luch or just as a snack with your afternoon tea, you must definitely give this tart a try! You will love it!Print
Cheese Tart with Egg
A perfect cheese tart with herbs, roasted red bell pepper and egg!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp dry instant yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water, lukewarm
- 1 and ½ cup feta or your favorite cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped lengthwise
- Mix flour and instant yeast. Add olive oil and water.
- Mix it with your hands until combined well.
- You will get a soft, non sticky dough, so you may need to add a little extra water or flour.
- Cover it with a wet kitchen towel and wait for 40 minutes to rise.
- Mix cheese with 2 egg whites. Add in parsley and green onions.
- Set aside some chopped green onions for final topping.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Divide the dough into four.
- Roll them out in the size with little tart pans.
- Place each in tart pans.
- Spread cheese mixture on it.
- Put egg yolks in the center.
- Surround egg yolks with red bell pepper strips.
- Toss chopped green onions over them.
- Bake them for 25 minutes.
Note: Use just egg yolks like I did or whole eggs.
Keywords: cheese tart