Turkish phyllo borek with potatoes, chard and carrots
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 5 phyllo sheets
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
- A bunch of chard, chopped
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender, with their skin on. Peel and dice them.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add in diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add in tomato paste, cook for a minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add in potatoes, salt and pepper, Give it a good stir and remove from heat. Let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix yogurt, olive oil and an egg in a cup. We will spread this mixture on each phyllo sheet.
- Lay one phyllo sheet in a baking sheet. Spread a little yogurt mixture on it. Put the half of the potato mixture on it, sprinkle the half of the grated carrot on it.
- Lay another phyllo sheet, put half of the chopped chard on it. Lay the third sheet, spread a little yogurt mixture on it, put the rest of the potato and grated carrot.
- Lay the fourth sheet, put the rest of the chard. Lay the last sheet on it, spread all the yogurt mixture on it.
- Then sprinkle some nigella seeds on it.
- Then cut the borek in diamond shapes or squares. Cutting before putting it in oven helps all layers cook equally.
- Bake it for 40 minutes.
If you think its top is too crispy, sprinkle a little water on it with your hands, cover it with a large kitchen towel, wait it for 15 minutes. Then you’ll see it gets soft enough.
Keywords: chard borek, vegetarian borek, turkish borek