Caramelized Pear Bread
Caramelized pear bread with warming fall spices is an irresistible dessert.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 and ½ tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 pears, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pistachio for garnish
- Cook water, orange juice, sugar and butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add pears, cut side up. Cook about 3-4 minutes. Turn them over and cook just until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Let them cool slightly.
- Line the bottom of a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the pears, cut side down in the pan.
- Heat the remaining liquid in the skillet and pour it over the pears. Freeze while you prepare the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture in 2 additions. Don’t over mix. Just use a hand whisk and whisk until everything is combined.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the batter over pears. Smooth the top.
- Bake until top is golden or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle ground pistachio on the bread before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 23.9g
- Sodium: 241.9mg
- Fat: 12.7g
- Carbohydrates: 39.7g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 82.3mg
Keywords: pear bread, pear recipes