Cacik with its refreshing ingredients is a staple side dish in Turkish cuisine. You can’t believe how easy and simple yet so addictive it is. You can use it as a dip as well.
In Turkish “cacik” means very green and fresh. Cucumber is the main vegetable for this dish. The more fresh cucumber, the better. This is a kind of side dish served mainly with rice and beans. It may also be a delicious appetizer for your drink.
As mothers are very creative with the ingredients in their kitchen, there are some different versions of cacik. If you don’t have cucumber in your kitchen and if you don’t feel like going out to buy some, you may use lettuce or purslane instead.
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 2 cups yogurt (if you have strained yogurt, it's better)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic,mashed
- Dried mint or fresh dill
- In a large bowl combine yogurt and water.
- Add garlic, salt and diced cucumber, stir until everything is combined.
- Finally add in dried mint and/or finely chopped fresh dill. Stir well.
- Chill for 15-20 minutes before serving.
You can play with the amount of water and yogurt depending on your taste. Thickness of cacik is originally like soup. But if you want it thicker, add less water. That’s what I’d do.