Butternut Squash Chili has a fresh and comforting taste, which makes it a perfect treat to welcome the winter days. This is one of the best vegetarian dishes I have eaten! Well, this is another recipe from mom, who is a zucchini, pumpkin and squash expert. She always serves it with a dollop of thick Homemade Greek Yogurt, which adds a wonderful touch on this amazingly tasty and spicy chili.
The original recipe of mom doesn’t have beans, it is a wonderful combination of squash and green lentils. Since I’ve seen so many chili recipes with beans around the web, I added some as well. Mom was here when I made this Butternut Squash Chili and she tasted my version of her recipe. Although she is such a perfectionist and it’s hard to make her love a recipe, she loved this chili! She even said it was almost better than her recipe! And this is really something important to me.
I used red beans for this chili and I believe it makes the dish even healthier and tastier. I cooked the beans at home beforehand and I just added it to the chili with other ingredients. If you have a chance of buying canned red beans, you can definitely do so. These beans don’t cook very quickly, so you can just save time if you use canned red beans or any other beans of your choice.
This is a fantastic combination of flavors! Nothing can go wrong with red beans, green lentils, summer tomatoes, onion and garlic will satisfy all your taste buds. The spices in this chili are like bonus. I used black pepper, cumin,chili powder and dried mint.
The secret ingredient that makes this Butternut Squash Chili so special and scrumptious is lemon. The freshness of lemon just balances the comforting flavor of lentils, beans and the spices. So don’t leave it out.
More butternut squash recipes I’d love to try:
Butternut Squash Soft Pretzels on Port and Fin
Rosemary Butternut Squash Skillet Pie on Running to the Kitchen
Butternut and Parmesan Biscuits on Jackie Cooks
Butternut Squash and Kale Pizza on The Live-in Kitchen
Orzo and Butternut Squash Skillet on Soup AddictPrint
Butternut Squash Chili
Very comforting chili with squash, beans and lentils.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup boiled red beans
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 2 cups chopped squash
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (I used the ones I preserved last summer)
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper paste, optional
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For garnish:
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Saute chopped onions in it until golden.
- Add green lentils and boiled red beans and saute for a few minutes.
- Toss in chopped squash and stir.
- Add chopped tomatoes and garlic. Stir and cook it covered for about 10 minutes until it gets juicy.
- Season with the spices.
- Dissolve red pepper paste in hot water and pour it into the pot.
- Cook it for about 30 minutes until it gets thick and squash is tender.
- Pour the lemon juice over it and stir.
- Serve hot topped with chopped green onions and parsley.