Sac Kavurma (Coban Kavurma)
Diced lamb cooked with onions, peppers and tomatoes. The meat is juicy, melting in your mouth and packed with flavors. A simple yet tasty lamb dish from Turkey.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 and 1/2 lbs (700g) diced lamb
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 sweet or hot green peppers, chopped
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
- Heat a large pan over high heat. You can use any thin-bottomed pan like saç or wok. If you don’t have these, use a cast iron pan.
- Add in oil and diced lamb. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes. Let the meat release its juice and then absorb most of it.
- Bring the heat to medium heat and add in the chopped onion. Cook until the meat is tender (for 8-10 minutes), stirring occasionally. If the meat you use doesn’t have enough fat, you might need to add extra oil at this step.
- Add in peppers and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes. Don’t let them completely cook and get too soft.
- Add in all the spices, give it a good stir, cook for 2 minutes and serve.
- If you use beef or goat meat, you will need to cook the meat longer.
- If you can find lamb tail fat, use it instead of oil. Put the diced fat with the diced lamb in the pan at the same time.
- Cook the meat over high heat first.
- If the meat is about to stick before it gets tender, add a splash of water and continue cooking.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 708.9 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9 g
- Protein: 35.2 g
- Cholesterol: 115.5 mg
Keywords: sac kavurma, sac kavurma recipe, kavurma