When you can’t decide on what sweet treat to serve your guests coming over for dinner or on a special occasion like your kid’s birthday party, you should definitely make Chocolate Mousse! You can easily impress anyone with something based on chocolate and mousse is always very good at making someone feel spoiled. If you need that feeling, just make it for yourself! You will see making this divine chocolate dessert is not as challenging as you think.
You can definitely make chocolate mousse at home, it’s really easy. You don’t need many ingredients or advanced cooking skills for this indulging dessert. The ingredients consist of chocolate, heavy cream, butter, milk and egg yolk; which are very basic ingredients you always have in your kitchen.
One of the things I love about chocolate mousse is that it’s served individually and you can top it with each person’s favorite topping. Some might love it with chocolate shavings, just like we do. Some might prefer whipped cream, ice cream or fresh berries on top of their chocoate mousse. You can even use some sprinkles to make it look even pretier. If you know your guests close, it would be a great surprise when they see different toppings for each!
A few tips before you start making the mousse:
1) Make sure that you whip the egg white well enough to make it a firm ‘snow’.
2) Whip the cream until it becomes like a softened butter. Do not overdo it, otherwise it loses that consistency.
3) Act quick when adding the egg yolk into chocolate mixture.
You will be proud of yourself when you see the result. I know you will because that’s how I feel whenever I make this basic chocolate mousse. The only dangerous part of making chocolate mousse at home is that you will repeat making it after your first trial.
If it’s your kid’s birthday party, you should definitely see these Chocolate-dipped Marshmallows too!
I saw this amazing looking Two Ingredient Chocolate Mousse, and wanted to give it a try but couldn’t find coconut almond milk here. If you have it in your area, I think it must be tried as well!
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Basic Chocolate Mousse
Homemade chocolate mousse is easier than you think. Read the tips before you start!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3
- 200g heavy cream
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 60g butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- Chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- Whip the heavy cream and set aside.
- Combine the chocolate, butter and milk in the top of a double boiler over hot, but simmering. Stir occasionally until smooth.
- Beat the egg yolk and add it into chocolate mixture stirring very fast, still over the heat. Remove from the heat when it starts to boil.
- Whip the egg white until foamy and beginning to hold a shape.
- Gently fold in the egg white, one-third of it each time just until incorporated.
- Pour this mixture slowly into the whipped heavy cream and stir.
- Share the mousse into individual dishes and chill at least 5 hours.
- Serve cold with chocolate shavings.