Basic Chewy Chocolate Cookies are the cookies everyone should learn how to make. You can’t predict when your chocolate cookie craving will start, so it’s better to be ready for it every time. And you should have an ultimate recipe for chocolate cookies. I know what you really need when an unexpected chocolate craving hits you. These cookies are the best solution in case of emergency.
I made these Basic Chewy Chocolate Cookies for my lovely students at university some weeks ago and they have been asking for the second cookie party since then. They told me that they were even better than the ones sold at bakery shops. You can guess how I felt extremely flattered.
These are simply the basic chewy chocolate cookies, they don’t have any additional twists. After knowing the basic version, it’s up to you to improve the recipe with additional ingredients and flavors. Some orange zest or nuts are two options coming to my mind. I’m sure you will have endless suggestions to combine with the amazingly chocolaty flavor of these cookies.
These chewy chocolate cookies are quite soft and melting inside. And that’s what makes these favorite of everyone.
The key to make these cookies extra chocolaty is using chocolate inside. There is no cocoa powder and the brown color comes just from the melted chocolate inside. Besides, they have chocolate chips. I used semi-sweet chocolate and chocolate chips, but you can use dark chocolate of your choice.
As if the chocolate inside wasn’t enough, I topped my chewy chocolate cookies with shaved chocolate. Don’t you think they look even fancier this way. Believe me, they taste even better as well.
Two important things to keep in mind to make these chocolate cookies chewy and soft: Chill the dough at least for 30 minutes and not to overbake the cookies. These really make difference. If you overbake these, they just get dry very quickly in the oven. Also, make sure you transfer them on a cooling rack right after you remove them from oven. Otherwise, they continue baking in the baking sheet and they won’t be soft as you desire.
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Basic Chewy Chocolate Cookies
The basic recipe for chewy chocolate cookies
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, to be melted in the cookie dough
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Melt butter in a pot over boiling water. Remove from the stove and add in semi sweet chocolate chips. Mix well until you have a smooth mixture. Transfer it into a large bowl.
- Beat the egg and sugar in another bowl and pour it in the chocolate mixture. Mix well with a spatula.
- Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl. Pour the dry mixture gradually in the wet mixture. Stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chill at least for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop the cookie dough on the parchment paper with a tablespoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer them on a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Serve these with shaved chocolate.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 13.4 g
- Sodium: 105.7 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 25.6 mg
Keywords: chewy chocolate cookies, brown sugar chocolate cookies