Banana Turmeric Chocolate Cake might sound the weirdest combination for you, but believe me this cake is out of this world! The light cake is wonderfully balanced with a rich chocolate frosting. No need to mention the fantastic topping on the cake. Crumbled oreo and beautiful turmeric take this ordinary looking chocolate cake to next level. With two more secret super ingredients inside. Satisfy both your soul and your taste buds with this banana turmeric chocolate cake!
This cake is the first thing I’ve baked with my new round spring form cake pans. I had been looking for small round cake pans for a long time, and when I finally found them at a store at the weekend, I knew I would bake something very special.
Banana and ginger cake probably sounds more acceptable for most of you but why don’t you give turmeric, the super spice a chance and see the result yourself?
I must admit that I couldn’t have developed this recipe without the help of my little and best assistant ever. Our 2-year-old son gave me the idea of making a banana cake in the new pans. Believe or not he recommended 2 more ingredients which I didn’t even think of refusing. Chia seeds and kefir. I occasionally add chia seeds to cakes and he knows this well as we are mostly together when making cakes.
What surprised me about the little man’s suggestion was kefir. He naturally suggested using kefir when I disappointedly realized that we ran out of milk in the middle of preparation. Brilliant idea! I had seen several cake recipes using kefir before, but just hadn’t tried it until that day.
So the banana turmeric chocolate cake is a simple one although the combination of all ingredients sound sophisticated. Believe me it is easy too. You just need two round spring form cake pans so that the cakes will be in the same size, which matters when you are making a two layered cake. I use two 7 inch round cake pans as I find these small ones really cute and easy to handle when coating the cake with frosting. You can definitely use one big cake pan and slice it into two from the middle, but I’m not very good at doing it. I tried once when I made a classic red velvet cake, but as you can see from the pictures, I just couldn’t make equal halves. It was then I decided to bake two separate cakes and then combine them to form a good looking cake with frosting.
Are you still doubtful about using turmeric and planning to omit it from the recipe? Just don’t! You don’t even feel its flavor but you will be amazed with that glamorous amber color it gives to the cake and the topping.Print
Banana Turmeric Chocolate Cake
Banana Turmeric chocolate Cake with chia seeds and kefir.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup sunflower oil or another vegetable oil
- 1 and ¼ cups kefir
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup good quality cocoa powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons crumbled oreo
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Lightly oil two 6'' round spring form cake pans, line their bottoms with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together mashed bananas, egg and sugar until creamy. Pour in the oil and kefir and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and chia seeds.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix with a spatula just until combined.
- Share the batter into two pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool down for about 20 minutes and then remove cakes from pans. Wait until they cool completely.
- For the frosting, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Beat the butter with a mixer until smooth. Add in the sugar mixture and milk. Mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Place one of the cakes upside down on a cake board and spread an even layer of the frosting over the top. Top with the second cake and frost the top and the sides with a thin frosting. Wait in the freezer for 30 minutes until it sets. Frost the top and sides again with the remaining frosting.
- Top the cake with crumbled oreos and sift turmeric over it.
Keywords: turmeric chocolate cake, kefir chocolate cake