Today is Sunday, right? What does Sunday mean to you? Sleeping long hours? Lingering in your bed dreaming, playing with the kids, reading newspaper or sipping your morning coffee? Sunday definitely means a big breakfast for two of us! We don’t wake up very late, just 2 hours later than weekdays. I guess 9 a.m is a good time to start the day. The first thing I do is to open the windows in the kitchen to let some fresh air in and the first thing Yusuf does is to turn on our small radio in the kitchen. It has a stable station which plays either classical or jazz music. Don’t you think fresh air and good music are more than enough to motivate you for preparing breakfast?
Yusuf wanted to make something new this morning, so besides our must have breakfast foods on the table, we had his fantastic banana pancakes! Pancake is not a Turkish breakfast food, we make crepes instead, which are thinner and can be stuffed with cheese, jam or honey and rolled. He said he was inspired by banana buttermilk pancakes by Kevin at closetcooking and wanted to make pancakes this morning. He always loves to add his touch to dishes, and he added a little orange zest to the mixture to give it a fresher flavor. It was absolutely a tasty combination! He didn’t add any sugar as he was planning to serve it with honey or nutella, but you can add 1 or 2 tbsp sugar in the mixture. You can serve it even as a dessert when you don’t have much time for preparing a sophisticated cake.
Don’t miss the parade of banana pancakes below the recipe!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1 cup milk
- 3 small ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp castor sugar for garnish
- Blend ripe bananas and milk in blender. Add egg and orange zest into it and blend.
- Pour sifted flour into it and mix until combined.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet and pour the pancake batter into it to make 2 pancakes.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then flip them.
- Cook for another minute until the other side gets brown.
- Take them on a plate.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in skillet and repeat until you finish the batter melting 1 tbsp butter for each two.
- Sprinkle castor sugar before serving.
- Serve with sliced bananas, honey or nutella.
Note: This makes 8 pancakes.