It’s the first time I made Asparagus Pasta and we loved it! Asparagus is not a very common vegetable in Turkey, most people don’t have any idea about it at all! It is used in a very limited area here, you can find it in the West of the country and its usage is limited only to salads there. It is boiled and mixed with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and chili powder. Asparagus grown there is so skinny that you might confuse it with other herbs. We are so lucky since Yusuf’s mom is living on the West and she brought two bunches of fresh skinny asparagus to us alongside with several other authentic foods like unripe grapes, limes, organic eggs, strained goat yogurt, izmir tulum cheese and organic goat cheese.
This Asparagus Pasta is my second cooking experience with asparagus. She sent some last year and we roasted them and still remember how delicious they were! This time, she used up one of the banches and made a very tasty asparagus salad on the day she came. It was super yummy! We love how still green and crispy they are! Lemon juice and olive oil matched perfectly to the its fresh flavor!
We discussed on what to cook with the second banch and brainstormed many ideas. I wanted to cook an asparagus soup, Yusuf wanted to make asparagus tart, his mom said it would be good with beef; but we had only one small banch and we couldn’t make all of these! We had to find something we all agreed. I saw Roasted Asparagus&Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta by Marla and inspired by her recipe and asparagus pasta sounded good to all three of us! Thanks Marla for inspiration!
I used some sun-dried chili peppers as well. You don’t need to soak them beforehand. They get tender when sauted with butter and milk.
We used half of the banch to make this asparagus pasta and we still have the other half. Do you have any suggestions to use the remaining asparagus?
Asparagus Pasta with Sun-Dried Chili
Pasta with boiled and sauted asparagus and sun-dried chili is makes flavorful side or main dish!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 250g pasta of your choice
- 250g fresh skinny asparagus, trimmed and cut into long pieces
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup kasar cheese or parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 sun-dried chili pepper
- Salt to taste
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Fill a pot with 4 cups of water and boil.
- Add asparagus into boiling water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer asparagus directly into another pot with very cold water so that it keeps that bright green color.
- Fill a pot with salted water and boil for pasta. Add pasta into pot when water boils.
- Cook pasta for 5minutes and drain.
- Melt butter in a pan, add in half of the asparagus and chili, saute for less than a minute.
- Add in pasta and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour milk into the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and toss in grated cheese and mix with a spatula.
- You can add a little more milk if your pasta gets dry.
- Serve with the rest of boiled asparagus aside.
- Garnish with mint sprigs when serving.