Turkish Artichoke Bottoms
Artichoke bottoms are stuffed with potatoes, carrots and peas. Served cold with a generous amount of lemon and olive oil.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 5 artichoke bottoms
- Half lemon (to soak the bottoms if they are fresh or frozen)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, diced
- 1 medium size potato, diced
- 1 cup peas (fresh or canned)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- ½ cup hot water
- Fill a large bowl with water, squeeze half lemon in it and put the artichoke bottoms in it. This is for fresh or frozen artichoke bottoms to prevent them from getting brown. Skip this step if you are using canned artichokes. Rinse and drain well.
Heat olive oil in a pan. Cook onions in this until translucent.
Add in carrots and potatoes and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in peas and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add in fresh dill and lemon juice, give it a stir.
Place the artichoke bottoms into this pan. Stuff them with the cooked veggies in the pan. You can keep any remaining veggies in the pan.
Pour hot water in the pan and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat and cook until artichokes get tender but not mushy, for about 20 min.
Transfer onto a serving plate and let them completely cool down.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh dill.
- An easy way to keep your frozen or fresh artichokes from turning brown is to place them in water with a few lemon slices. The acidity of lemons will help prevent them from discoloring, so you can also use limes or lemon juice.
- When choosing a pan to cook the artichokes in, the best ones are sauté pans that have high sides. These can hold the water without it boiling over. Alternatively, you can use a pot that is large enough to hold all of the stuffed artichoke bottoms.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 613.9 mg
- Fat: 14.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.9 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: artichoke bottoms, artichoke bottoms recipe, Turkish artichoke recipe, stuffed artichoke bottoms