Tomato Chicken Rice Soup is a comfort food at its best. It is packed with flavour and vitamins that will help the immune system fight cold. Super healthy, super delicious and a meal on its own that the whole family will love.
Tomato Chicken Rice Soup is what we all need when it’s getting cooler. Is it getting chilly and rainy in your area too? Are you feeling under the weather too? Do you want to strengthen your immune system and avoid getting a cold this fall? Make this scrumptious chicken rice soup before you feel sick and you won’t have to rest in bed for days. Looking for a vegetarian option? Check out our Easy Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe!
For the best result, you should use parts of chicken with bones. You can prefer using a whole chicken as well, but we don’t want a lot of chicken, so we just used drumsticks. Bones are really important for the flavour and vitamins in this soup, so don’t use chicken breasts.
Chicken rice tomato soup is one of our homemade remedies for cold and it always works fine because it’s tangy due to tomato and lime. It is similar to our Tomato Chicken Orzo Soup, but this one is richer with vegetables like carrot, corn and spinach. Also, we used rice in this soup, so it’s gluten-free. We’ll be sharing the other chicken soups here, hope you love them as much as we do.
The first thing you need for this chicken tomato soup is preparing the broth. Just boil the chicken with carrot or any other root vegetable you have in hand. We don’t have canned chicken broth here in Turkey, so we always make it when we are making the soup. And we are definitely happy with it. You can definitely use canned chicken broth if you want to be quicker though.
We used both pureed tomatoes and Homemade Tomato Paste for this soup. Why both? To have more tomato flavour in the soup. Tomato paste is like a pack of lots of tomatoes without all the juice and it gives a nice tangy flavour.
Sautee tomato puree and the tomato paste with dried mint in a little olive oil in a deep pot. Then, pour the chicken broth into the pot and let it boil. Next, add rice in it when it is boiling and cook until tender. Remove the chicken from bones and add the shredded chicken into the pot. Don’t forget to add the carrots which you cook with chicken. Throw in corn, spinach leaves and some boiled chickpeas. Squeeze a lemon and pour it into the pot. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes until all the flavours are blended. Serve with croutons.
More Chicken Soups
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup on Brokeass Foodie
- Chicken Noodle Harvest Vegetable Soup on i food real
- Chicken and Gnocchi Soup on The Lazy Mom Cooks
- Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup on Liv Life
- Low Carb Chicken Soup on The Low Carb Diet
Tomato Chicken Rice Soup
A very comforting chicken rice soup loaded with flavors and vitamins. A true homemade remedy for cold.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 carrots, cut in thick slices
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water for the broth
- 2 cups water for the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, ¾ cup when pureed
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup boiled chickpeas
- ¼ cup boiled corn
- 1 cup roughly chopped spinach
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Boil chicken drumsticks with carrot, garlic cloves and black pepper in 6 cups of water until tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and shred.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot. Saute pureed tomatoes and Homemade Tomato Paste with dried mint in it.
- Pour 2 cups of pure water and the chicken broth including carrot and garlic into the pot. Add rice when it boils. Cook until tender.
- Add shredded chicken, chickpeas and corn. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally add in the spinach, lemon juice and salt. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with croutons.
If the soup gets thicker when it gets cold, just add in some hot water and then heat the soup stirring occasionally.
Keywords: tomato chicken soup, chicken rice soup