We are still in zucchini season and I enjoy cooking zucchini based foods. Zucchini is not only used in stove top recipes, but it is also a great ingredient for baking. I personaly experienced this when I made Fluffy Zucchini Bread, it gave a great softness inside bread. I wanted to make it more noticeable this time and decided to top a loaf of focaccia bread with zucchini rings and tomatoes to give it a summer touch.
Focaccia bread has been one of our favorites since we made this Whole Wheat Seed Bread. It is easy to make and love the limitless topping options, which makes it fun as well. Just don’t change its main ingredient, which is olive oil. A high quality olive oil is always the best for sure! Some people might love plain focaccia bread, just with olive oil and rosemary as it is originally made, but I do love to try it with various toppings. I can even try a sweet version one day. Why not?
I don’t want the zucchini to get juicy when baking, so I didn’t grate it, I just cut it in rings and placed on the bread. I used cherry tomatoes for this recipe to have a more colorful bread and cutting them in rings too. Black olive slices complemented the flavor perfectly.
You know zucchini is not the favorite food of kids, but I can guarantee they will love it on this focaccia bread. You can serve it with cheese at breakfast or even cut it in half and make a cheese sandwich with it. I’m sure they will be happy when they see that sandwich in their lunch box.
You can quickly prepare a picnic basket with this focaccia bread and some cheese on a Sunday and enjoy it with your loved ones outside. It perfectly accompanies soups and stews too. Since this bread has zucchini and tomatoes on the top, you don’t have to prepare a side dish to serve with meat dishes. Zucchini and Tomato Focaccia Bread will be enough to meet your vegetable need.
Focaccia bread is one of the best yeast-breads with its crispy outside and soft inside. Use your imagination for its topping or make it plain, but do try it! You will be addicted.
Looking for an easier and no bake zucchini recipe? You should check out Dara’s Zucchini Granola Bites! Another healthy snack for your kid’s lunch box!
- 3 and ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 yolks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 zucchinis, cut in rings
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in rings
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- Sift flour in a large bowl.
- Mix water, sugar and yeast. Pour it into the bowl.
- Add in salt, olive oil and egg. Combine them very well.
- You can add extra water or flour to have a non sticky soft dough.
- Cover and wait it for 40 min to rise.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Line 2 oven trays with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two and place each into trays.
- Flatten them by pressing with your hands.
- Make small lines on loaves with a knife or your fingers.
- Cover them with a wet towel and wait for another 30 min.
- Mix yolks with olive oil and brush loaves with it.
- Place zucchini and tomato slices on loaves gently pressing on them.
- Toss black olives on it.
- Bake for 30 min.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over it before serving.