Do you crave for something to snack on during day? Do you get a little hungry a few hours after dinner? What kind of a snack would you like to have at such moments? Sweet or savory? I always prefer savory ones, they satisfy my hunger better than anything sweet. These snacks could be biscuits, pogaca, crackers or a few slices of a scrumptious seed bread!
“How can a bread itself make a snack?” you might ask. Saying that this seed bread is more than a simple bread wouldn’t be wrong. It has enough flavors on it, so it doesn’t need any additions when eating. I made it with sunflower seeds and poppy seeds, but you can use your favorite seeds on it. Flax seeds, sesame seeds or nigella seeds would go very well on this bread too! Also, you can substitute pumpkin seeds for sunflower seeds. It is all up to your taste!
I know breads made this way are called focaccia, a bread which belongs to Italian cuisine. However, I got the recipe from my grandma, who was living in a village and had no idea about Italian focaccia. She would always have all ingredients in hand and we knew that she would welcome us with a newly baked bread whenever we visited her.
She would believe that seeds bring abundance of food and Money, so she would make seed bread especially on the Eve of Ramadan festival. She would use nigella sativa and sesame seeds for topping. I can never forget the big breakfasts we had with the whole family! My grandma’s seed bread would be the favorite of us all! Thanks grandma for the recipe!
I slightly changed grandma’s recipe by making it with whole wheat flour and using sunflower and poppy seeds on the top. I don’t know whether my seed bread can be called focaccia, but I guarantee you will love its soft texture and the crunchiness coming from the seeds on the top! Don’t be mean when tossing seeds on the dough! Feeling seeds in your mouth is like finding a treasure in each bite!
Make this seed bread, make bite size pieces and put them on the counter. Believe me they will disappear in a few minutes!
Serves 2 loaves
Whole wheat bread topped with sunflower seeds and poppy seeds.
1 hr, 20 Prep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 50 Total Time
- 3 and ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 yolks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 6 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 6 green peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet chili powder
- Sift flour on the counter and make a well in the center.
- Mix lukewarm water and dry yeast and wait for 10 minutes.
- Pour sugar, salt and yeast into the center of flour.
- Add egg and olive oil and mix with your hand for about 5 minutes.
- Combine it well until you have a non sticky dough.
- Cover it a wet kitchen towel and let it rest for 40 min.
- Preheat oven at 190C.
- Line 2 oven trays with baking paper
- Divide the dough into two and roll them out in a rectangular shape and transfer into oven trays.
- Make random short lines on them with a knife.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel and wait for further 30 minutes.
- Mix yolks with olive oil and spread it on loaves with a brush.
- Place chopped peppers gently pressing on them.
- Sprinkle seeds and sweet chili.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.