Skinny Green Bean Casserole has already become one of our favorite vegetarian dishes in summer. Green beans are my favorite summer vegetable and I mostly cook fresh Green Beans with Corn, which is another great vegetarian dish. I also love to experiment new recipes with it because I want to use fresh green beans as much as I can. You know frozen or canned green beans are not even close to the flavor of fresh one.
The idea of this green bean casserole was born when we were enjoying our Skinny Zucchini Casserole. Glad it did! This is a super yummy gren bean dish and I can’t believe how I didn’t try it before. I haven’t yet met a single person who hates green beans, but if there is someone you know, please share this recipe. It will be their turning point in the kitchen.
Green bean casserole is not something well-known in Turkish cuisine. I didn’t follow a specific recipe when making this amazing casserole. I just used my passion and instinct and developed the recipe myself. When I looked for a good recipe for green bean casserole, I saw that it is mostly made with mushroom soup. It’s maybe something traditional to pair these two, I don’t know. But I wanted to go skinny, which many people need in summer and madem y casserole without mushroom soup.
This is not a very cheesy casserole, just with a reasonable amount. You can definitely increase or decrease the amount for your taste. Most recipes might call for heavy cream but I used unsweetened milk to give it a milky flavor. If you like heavy cream and don’t care about skinny recipes, use it instead. Also I wanted to make it gluten-free, so I used cornmeal, but you might prefer all purpose flour if your diet allows.
The important thing when making this green bean casserole is to boil the green beans in the right way. So what does that mean? Toss in green beans in boiling salted water and cook them just for 3 minutes and transfer them immediately into a large bowl full of water and ice cubes to stop its cooking. They will keep their lovely green color this way and your casserole will look even more appealing.
Green beans, eggs, milk, cheese and cornmeal make this amazingly scrumptious casserole.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 3 cups thinly chopped green beans
- 1 onion, thinly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan or kasar cheese
- Boil a pot of salted water and toss in the green beans and chopped onion. Cook for 3 minutes and transfer into a bowl full of water and ice. Let them sit there for about 5 minutes and strain. Pat them dry with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 190C (374F).
- Whisk the eggs and mix them with olive oil and milk.
- Add in salt and black pepper.
- Combine these with cornmeal and 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Fold in green beans and onion and stir until combined well.
- Grease a baking pan and pour the mixture in it.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, take it out and top with remaining 3 tablespoons of cheese and put it back in oven. Cook for another 5 minutes until the cheese topping melts a little and gets golden.