Serving something sweet is a part of our tradition to celebrate festivals. The Feast Of Sacrifice lasts 4 days and we are on the third day of it. We are happy that we have mom and dad with us during this festival. Mom made this semolina halvah yesterday to serve our guests. Lucky guests!
I already have a recipe of semolina halvah here, but mom’s is always better than mine, so I want to share her recipe with you, too. She used pinenuts in it as they are perfect couple with semolina.
Pinenuts, which are used in halvah and stuffed vegetables, are one of the special ingredients of Mediterranean cuisine, just like olive oil and garlic. The Mediterranean region and Aegean region in Turkey are a natural habitats for pinenuts, so it’s mostly used in the South and West of the country. Pinenut trees can reach to 20 meters and they start to crop after 25 years. It’s such a long time, isn’t it?
When the tree has ripe pinenuts, people shake the tree branches to drop pine cones. These pine cones are laid under sunlight and the cones are opened with the effect of heat after some time. Then not to damage the nuts inside, cones are softened with water and nuts are removed from cones. It’s not a very easy process. So pinenuts are very valuable and not cheap.
I love it when it’s warm, but it’s generally served cold. You don’t need to wait it in refrigerator though.
Creamy semolina halvah with pinenuts.
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 3 cups semolina
- 2 ¾ cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- 250g butter
- ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp pinenuts
- Put water and sugar in a pot and bring to boil. Put half lemon in this sherbet when it boils, and boil it about 5 more minutes. When it gets a little thick , it’s done.
- Meanwhile melt the butter and saute pinenuts.
- When they get golden brown, put semolina. Stir it continually until it is cooked, otherwise it might burn easily. You will feel its tempting scent when semolina gets golden brown.it’s time to pour the sherbet, stir a few times.
- Take it from stove before it absorbs all sherbet, it must be creamy.
- Pour it in small bowls and serve either warm or cold.