I owe the idea of rosemary crackers to my husband, Yusuf. We’ve changed a few things in our life since diagnose of my husband’s diabetes. You know he has a diet now he has to follow. The principle of this diet is to eat little and often. Doesn’t it sound healthy? I follow this diet too (so I will say ‘our diet’)and I must admit that I feel healthier. I used to ignore fruits as a snack but now I have fruit 3 times a day just like he does. And this really makes a difference, I don’t have digestive problems anymore.
Another reason why I feel healthier is that we prefer whole wheat products now. We used to have whole wheat bread before the disease, but had never tried whole wheat pasta before. It is surprisingly as delicious as the regular one. Unfortunately, we don’t have many brands producing it and we can find it in one supermarket in our city. Maybe I should try to make it myself!
I tried something with whole wheat flour though, which is another change in our kitchen and we will not use white flour anymore. A great percent of wheat is removed in white flour, so are the useful elements existing in it. Our diet has a certain amount of carbohydrate, which is found in bread, pasta, pilaf, potatoes or healthy crackers like the one you see above. There aren’t many choices of whole wheat flour crackers at markets here, so I decided to make it myself. This is healthy as it has whole wheat flour and olive oil in it.
I used whole wheat flour in these rosemary crackers since the benefits of whole wheat is countless! It is rich in fiber and magnesium, which are like key elements for a healthy body. It helps you not gain weight and protects against risk of diabetes and heart diseases in addition to being a great anti-cancer agent, especially against breast cancer. No need to mention its benefits for intestines!
So don’t you think it’s time to include whole wheat products in your diet yet? Start with rosemary crackers!
Serves 32 crackers
Whole wheat crackers flavored with rosemary.
50 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- ¾ cup cold water
- 1 tsp rosemary
- Extra rosemary for topping
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk olive oil with egg and pour it into dry ingredients and combine.
- Add water, rosemary and nigella seeds, combine. Wait it in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sprinkle flour on counter and roll out dough as thin or thick as you want. It rises a little in oven, so you can decide its thickness to your taste before baking.
- Place baking sheet in an oven tray.
- Cut rolled out dough with a pastry wheel into rectangles and place them on it.
- Brush with water and sprinkle rosemary.
- Bake about 20 minutes and serve when cold.