Bulgur (pounded wheat) used to be considered as the food of the poor, but it has gained its real value among people for a few years. People have become more aware of its health benefits, so they start to prefer it to white rice if they are health conscious. Do you know why bulgur is much healthier than rice? It is richer in vitamin B and minerals. The process of making it gives it a great nutritional value. Do you know how it is made? Whole wheat is boiled. While boiling, vitamins and minerals on peel of grains of wheat move inwards. Then boiled wheat is dried and partly peeled in mills, but minerals and vitamins in it remain inside. Also, bulgur is a fiber rich food thanks to this method.
It is cheaper than rice, so it is good to our budget too! Benefits of bulgur absolutely outweigh those of white rice, so try to eat it more.
Here is a great pilaf with fresh fava beans and herbs addition.
- ½ cup bulgur
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh fava beans
- 2 tbsp homemade pasta(eriste), optional
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- ½ bunch of fresh fennel, chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and saute onion until golden.
- Add fava beans and cook them until tender. You can add a few drops of water if necessary.
- Add bulgur and homemade pasta, stir. Cook them for a few minutes.
- Add salt and black pepper, stir.
- Pour 1 cup hot water and cook it over high heat until it boils. Bring it to the lowest heat after it boils and cook until it absorbs all water. Put it aside.
- Toss in chopped herbs just before serving.