This is the first time I’m trying gluten free cookies and they turned out amazingly yummy! As we started to see chestnuts at markets, I thought I must add it in my cookies and these Gluten Free Chestnut Cookies came out! I must warn you: These cookies are highly addictive since they are melting in your mouth! I know you will ask for more after having the first bite and this will be one of your favorite cookie recipe even if you are not following a gluten free diet!
I decided to make something gluten free when one of my pinterest friends opened a Gluten Free board and invited me there to share gluten free recipes. Go check Pascale’s board to see many more tasty gluten free recipes!
These chestnut cookies look so much like classic Turkish Flour Cookies, but they are quite different with the ingredients they contain. The only and the best similarity they have is that they’re both melting in mouth! You don’t want to count how many you eat at a time, so making these cookies in bite size is always better!
I’m so much inspired by smitten kitchen’s Roasted Chestnut Cookies and turned it into a gluten free version. I roasted the chestnuts beforehand and made the cookies the following day since I find peeling the chestnuts quite boring and laborious!
Although I made a cross on each chestnut, waited in cold water for some time and then roast, they weren’t peeled easily. If you know an easier way of it, I would love to hear it, please share it in the comment section.
The best part of this recipe is that you don’t need to peel the chestnuts in one piece since we grind them in a food processor. You will love that nutty flavor in these cookies! Nobody can guess what these cookies have inside!
The recipe at smitten kitchen was calling for a mixture of cinnamon and powdered sugar to coat the chestnut cookies, but I used cinnamon powder only. I do love its scent, which is a great welcome to coming chilly days.
- 500g chestnut, ¾ cup when roasted, peeled and ground
- 1 cup rice flour
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, for topping
- Preheat oven at 200C.
- Cut a small X on each chestnut, wait them in cold water for 30 minutes and roast them for 20 minutes.
- Cool on a tray and peel. Put them into a food processor and grind well. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Add in all the other ingredients except cinnamon and mix with your hands until it doesn’t stick to your hand.
- Preheat oven at 170C.
- Line baking pans with parchment paper.
- Make balls from the batter as big as a teaspoon and place them on the parchment paper leaving ½ inch between each.
- Bake them for 17 minutes and cool them on a rack.
- Sift cinnamon powder on them when cold.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container for a week.