Wouldn’t it be great to have a big glass of cold lemonade on these boiling days? We feel the need of drinking something more on such days because of dehydration, but I do have an extra excuse. You know I am a new mom who prefers breast feding, so I need to consume enough liquid to increase milk production. I drink enough water and milk everyday, but some variety would be nice, right? I sometimes drink Ayran, which is one of my favorite cold drinks and I do love it, yet still I need some change, so I’m searching for new cold drinks. Knowing this, mom made a surprise to me with this fresh homemade lemonade.
No drink could be more refreshing than this lemonade on such hot days! I almost forgot it, thank you mom for reminding it!
A simple homemade lemonade is made with lemon, water and sugar. I already have a favorite recipe for homemade lemonade with ginger and fresh mint, which I call The Best Lemonade. And I can obviously say that mom’s lemonade is the second best lemonade I’ve ever had.
You know what? We have different methods to make our best lemonade. Although it’s a simple drink with 3 basic ingredients, you can see different recipes for homemade lemonade. I must honestly accept that hers is easier and faster than mine, she always knows a better way to make things. This lemonade is no exception!
Mom doesn’t squeeze the lemons in usual way fort his lemonade. She first chops lemons and then squeeze the pieces in her palms so that the lemonade gets more aromatic with lemon zest.
What do you need to make a lemonade more refreshing? The answer is almost always fresh mint leaves. Not for mom though! She used marjoram instead and it was fantastic! I must tell here that mom has turned our balcony into a small herb garden with herbs in small pots and marjoram is one of those herbs she grows on our balcony.
Fresh marjoram leaves give a tempting aroma and flavor to this lemonade and definitely remove the suffocating effect of hot weather.
Fresh lemonade flavored with marjoram is a perfect summer drink!
10 minPrep Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 lemons
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- Marjoram leaves
- Peel lemons and chop them roughly and put in a bowl.
- Add sugar over lemon pieces and wait for 5 minutes so that lemons release their juice.
- Squeeze chopped lemons in your palms and transfer the juice into a jug.
- Pour 1 cup of water on squeezed pieces and wait for 5 minutes.
- Squeezed them in the same way and transfer the water into lemon juice and sugar mixture.
- Pour 2 cups of water into it and mix well.
- Toss in a handful leaves of marjoram into the jug and cover.
- Chill it in refrigerator at least for an hour and serve cold.