I’m still trying to make as many recipes with zucchini as I can before summer ends and here is another real hit with this amazingly healthy summer vegetable: Crustless Zucchini Pie. If you are craving for something sweet, you should check my Chocolate and Yogurt Zucchini Bread, but if you are after a savory treat, this pie will satisfy your taste buds for sure! You see, zucchini is such a beautiful vegetable that you can use it both for sweet and savory. Hope you aren’t bored of my zucchini recipes this summer because I think they are still not enough. I might even think of writing an e-book about zucchini recipes!
This zucchini pie doesn’t require any crust, which makes everything much easier. Crustless pies are mostly made by adding flour into a mixture of egg and other ingredients, but this one is a gluten-free pie. Any ideas what I used instead? A vegetable which is a great source of starch. Right, I used potatoes to hold the batter well. I boiled two potatoes and grated them and combined these with the egg mixture. You never need flour in a pie with this method. I used summer zucchini and sweet corn in this pie, but you can use the same method for any pie you like.
Baking zucchini pie couldn’t have been easier! Boil two potatoes and saute the zucchini slices in a large skillet beforehand so that they cool down when you are preparing the batter. And mix these with the batter. Ready to go into the oven! Everything is that easy!
Zucchinis could be grated too, but I wanted to have thin slices in this pie to give it nice layers. Duration of sauting zucchinis will probably be longer though if you grate them as they will release a lot of juice.
If you like baking with zucchini and having it in slices like you do when serving pies, but you are on a diet, check out my Skinny Zucchini Casserole, which can be made gluten-free as well.
I’ve made cakes, casserole, salad and pie with zucchini, but I’ve realized that I haven’t made any cookies yet. I can’t wait to try Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies by Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod next time.
- 2 potatoes, boiled (2 and ¼ cup when grated)
- 3 and ½ cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauting zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 cup boiled or canned sweet corn
- 5 green onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sweet chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons parmesan or kasar chesee, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 374F (190C). Grease a 9-inch pie pan and set aside.
- Boil potatoes beforehand until tender and put them aside.
- Saute thinly sliced zucchinis with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet until slightly tender and let it cool down.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add in yogurt and mix.
- Add boiled and grated potatoes in the mixture and mix with a spatula well.
- Fold in boiled or canned sweet corn and chopped green onions.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper and chili. Add in 4 tablespoons of cheese and stir.
- Finally add in the sauted zucchini and stir.
- Pour the mixture in the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Take it out from oven and toss 2 tablespoons cheese on its top and bake for another five minutes.
- Let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing, garnish with mincec fresh mint and serve warm.