Do you hate zucchini? Don’t you like it even in fritters? You should think it twice before you decide. I guarantee it will be one of your favorite veggies once you try this Chocolate Banana Zucchini Cupcakes. The best word to describe these cupcakes is “moist”. You can leave out the chocolate frosting if you want to have reduce the calories, I’m definitely sure that you will still love these. If you don’t have problems with your weight, try these with the frosting; you will feel like you are eating the mini version of your favorite chocolate cake.
Zucchini is the main ingredient that helps to add the cake that perfect moisture. Zucchini is mostly underestimated, but look what it does! Nobody can guess there is zucchini in these cupcakes even if they see the tiny green pieces inside it. They might think they are pistachio or green apple pieces. If you love to surprise people, you can do it with these chocolate banana zucchini cupcakes.
These cupcakes are wonderfully rich and chocolatey. What’s more, a subtle banana flavor comes through in these zucchini cupcakes, which helps them have that moist texture. The flavor combination in these cupcakes is amazing. Banana and chocolate always blend perfectly and they welcome zucchini very well to make this amazing dessert.
I didn’t use butter in the cake butter as I would already use it in the frosting. I used just a bit of olive oil, so these zucchini cupcakes are not dense, they are more like moist brownies with a chocolate frosting.
Don’t you think they look elegant? These are great for any kind of special occasion. You can even celebrate your beloved one’s birthday by placing a candle on one of these zucchini cupcakes. Don’t tell him that the cake has zucchini inside until he finishes his cupcake and enjoy the wonderment on his face when you finally give the secret. Believe me it will be the beginning of his love of zucchini.
Serves: 12 cupcakes
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 and ½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated and squeezed zucchini
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Chocolate frosting:
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 200g powdered sugar
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Whisk sugar, egg and vanilla well.
- Add in mashed banana and mix well.
- Pour olive oil and milk. Whisk.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl and add this mixture to the wet mixture. Mix well with a spatula.
- Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips and stir.
- Share into the muffin liners.
- Bake for 25 minutes and let them cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water and let it cool.
- Whisk sugar and butter very well on high speed for about 5 minutes.
- Pour melted chocolate in it and mix well.
- Pipe frosting over the cupcakes once they are cooled and garnish with sprinkles.