If there is someone in your family rejecting to wake up in the morning at the weekend, just make this Baked Strawberry French Toast and let the tempting smell fills the whole house. That will cause a big curiosity in that person and he can’t resist any longer. He will almost run to the kitchen to see what that wonderfully smelling food is. Seeing the springy strawberry french toast, he will never want to go back to bed. That’s what happened in my home last weekend.
Strawberry is romantic. It makes you happier. It makes you feel renewed. I think it’s childish too. Strawberry is like the spoiled child in the family of fruit. Who doesn’t love it? I think it’s possible to involve it in any kind of dessert.
French toast is considered as a savory food in Turkey, we call it ‘yumurtalı ekmek’ ( bread slices coated with egg) and it’s mostly served as is, no additional flavors on it. We do love it savory, but I wanted to make a change after being inspired by Marla’s Baked Blueberry French Toast and I made this strawberry version.
We mostly fry the egg coated toasts in a pan, but I baked them this time for this recipe and they were so good when baked too.
To give this Strawberry French Toast a nice brownish color, I used a little grape molasses in the egg mixture and it gave a nice sweet flavor as well.
I just sliced fresh strawberries and placed them on the toasts and then put them in oven.
I thought strawberries would release their juice when they were cooked, but they didn’t, so I added a little strawberry jam on the toasts right before serving.
The jam gives it a nice sweetness and baked strawberries matched perfectly with the jam on the toasts.
This Strawberry French Toast makes a perfect dessert too. If you don’t feel like baking anything in the morning, just make it for five o’clock tea and enjoy it as a dessert! You can even serve strawberry ice cream alongside with it.
The recipe is slightly adapted from Marla’s Baked Blueberry French Toast recipe.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoons grape molasses
- ¼ cup strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 190C.Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Whisk eggs, milk, sugar and molasses well.
- Dip each slice of bread into the batter and place in the baking dish.
- Let the slices absorb the egg mixture for 5 minutes.
- Top each with strawberry slices and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dust the toasts with powdered sugar.
- Top with strawberry jam and serve.